Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Birthday


I enter this day, surrounded in my office by (gag?) gifts that include Grecian Formula, Ben Gay and Prune Juice, steadfast in the belief that 40 is the new 39....


Forty years ago today, I popped into the world. Skinny, yellow-tinted kid. Burdened with asthma, hobbled by knock knees and somewhat alarmingly resembling Barney Fife, I don't suppose I caused much a ripple in the world pool.


I've always felt a bit like an air hockey game. Imagination adrift, ideas knocking around, random thoughts blowing through my head. Try as I might, I never could muster up much energy toward topics that others, smarter others mostly, seem fixated on. Politics, stock markets, higher technology, mortgage rates, weather trends, jazz like that. For a business owner, I don't much care or know about, well, business. I suppose I just like what I like and leave the heavy thinking to others, mostly smarter others. Much better that way because, as I told Jenn recently, "I don't know that I was born with a very big brain."


So when it became clear to me that I wasn't the second coming of Mickey Mantle (not enough power) or Mick Jagger (not enough lips), I decided to just do things as they came to me. Sportswriting seemed like fun, so I gave it a five-year ride. Publishing a book sounded like a good idea, so I wrote one. Next month, it will be a decade I've been running this gym, and, while I'm still not making much of a ripple, it's been a fun run.


My dad died 362 days ago. I can still hear him telling me his three secrets to life:


1. Find someone you love
2. Find something you love
3. Eat plenty of fiber


Forty years later, I still feel like I'm blowing around an air hockey table, a puck bouncing off the proverbial walls of life. Where it stops, hell if I know. But...


...I have a better wife than most.


...I enjoy my job more than most.


...and I'm very regular.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!